Wednesday, March 15, 2006

To Intervene with Ancient Cultural Functions.

...and once again:
Culture/Parental Presure- 1
Americanism/Rebellion- 0
In what way you ask?
Well, I was talking to my best friend Michi, and she had shocking news.
Her older sister agreed to have an arranged marriage. Her older, will-not-shave-because-she's-a-feminist-pink-converse-wearing-elastica-hearing-must-not-fall-into-typical-northern-Indian-culture sister. This boisterous, rude, [to her sister]outspoken, but clever woman decided to give in to her parent's desires and go along with an arranged marriage.
This turn of events put Michi into a wary state of awareness- her sister had been pressured for years on end to get married- year after year, "You are getting too old to find a suitable husband."
Michi is next on the list of Bachelorettes.
Too bad that she has a [non-Indian] boyfriend, and she has no plans to marry any time soon. AT ALL. In fact, I truly hope her current boyfriend is "the one." He is just perfect for her, they share the same values and he is so fucking cute. Two peas in a pod.
I know that as a student all for cultural preservation, I would encourage Michi to stick to her cultural roots[and her parent's best interests]. However, Michi is an American-and she is well-assimilated into this society that an arranged marriage simply does not make sense. She is too much of a dreamer, dependent of love- so much so that forcing love upon a man who I know she will not find attractive [in any aspect] would crush her emotionally. A Sikh would probably look at me as if I were crazy- but I must argue that the functions of an Indian arranged marriage do not [and will not] suit Michi in any form, and as her best friend, I am partially responsible for her well-being- so all I've got to say is that she is free to marry whomever she wants.
I just hope that she does not feel pressured into the same trap that her sister swore not to fall in years ago.

No comments: